Things you need to know about Nizoral shampoo

The Nizoral A-D shampoo is also known as Nizoral 2% shampoo. This is a reddish orange liquid that contains the active ingredient of Ketoconazole. Along with this active ingredient, the shampoo also contains coconut fat, purified water, and chemicals like acid diethanolamide, disodium monolaurin ether sulfosuccinate, hydrochloric acid, imidurea, laurdimonium hydrolyzed animal collagen, macrogol 120 methyl glucose dioleate, perfume bouquet, sodium chloride, sodium hydroxide and sodium lauryl ether sulfate.

Nizoral A-D shampoo is used for the treatment of dandruff caused due to dry scalp. The other reason behind dandruff is seborrheic dermatitis which can be treated by Ketoconazole. Ketoconazole 2% shampoo can be used to treat tinea versicolor which give rise to hyper pigment or hypo pigment patches.

Side effects and precautions

Some of the side effects of the Nizoral shampoo are:

  • The shampoo can cause dry skin. The scalp might get oily and dry after the use of the shampoo.
  • You can experience mild skin irritation or itching.
  • Abnormal hair texture is another side effect one can experience.
  • Among the other side effects are scalp pustules, rashes, site reactions, hives and headache.

As a part of precaution, you must inform the doctor that you are allergic to the ingredient ketoconazole or other such similar ingredients like miconazole, econazole etc. People allergic to the medicine experiencing shortness of breath, severe skin reactions or swelling or angioedema must stop using the Nizoral shampoo immediately. If problem persist then you must consult a doctor at once. You must explain your medical history to the pharmacist or doctor before using the medicine. It is very important that you must talk to doctor before using Nizoral when you are pregnant. There is no enough evidence regarding the effects of ketoconazole in pregnant or nursing women. This is same for the children as safety and effectiveness has not yet been established. This medicine can be harmful if swallowed so call ambulance if someone is overdosed.