If you are suffering from chronic pain, you may be a candidate for spinal cord stimulation. It is a treatment that uses electrical impulses to block pain signals from the brain. It can be a life-changing procedure for those who suffer from chronic pain. In this article, we’ll talk about whether or not you are a candidate for spinal cord stimulation. We will also discuss the benefits of this treatment and how it can help you get your life back!
What is Spinal Cord Stimulation?
Spinal cord stimulation (SCS) is a treatment that uses electrical current to block pain signals from traveling up the spinal cord to the brain. This therapy may be an option for people who have chronic pain that is not relieved by other treatments.
The electrical current is delivered through electrodes implanted in the epidural space, which is the area just outside the spinal cord. The electrodes are connected to a device that is worn like a belt or backpack.
SCS may be used to treat pain from a number of conditions, including:
- Chronic back pain
- Failed back surgery syndrome
- Pain after spinal cord injury
- Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS)
- Peripheral neuropathy
There are several factors that will be considered when determining if SCS is the right treatment for you. Your doctor will evaluate your health history, pain symptoms, and current treatments to see if SCS is an appropriate option.
How to Know if You are the Right Candidate for Spinal Cord Stimulation?
There are a number of factors that will be considered when determining if SCS is the right treatment for you. Your doctor for spinal cord stimulation in Chicago will evaluate your health history, pain symptoms, and current treatments to see if SCS is an appropriate option.
Some of the things that will be taken into consideration include:
- The type and severity of your pain
- The area of your body where you are experiencing pain
- Your age and overall health
- Any other medical conditions you have
- Whether you are currently taking any medications for your chronic pain
- How well you tolerate surgery and anesthesia
- Your ability to comply with postoperative instructions
What are the Advantages of Spinal Cord Stimulation Therapy?
There are several benefits to spinal cord stimulation. So, if you are wondering if spinal cord stimulation is dangerous? Then it is best to speak with your doctor, as it is an effective treatment for many people who suffer from chronic pain. Some of the key benefits include:
- Reduced pain intensity
- Improved quality of life
- Increased ability to participate in activities you enjoy
- Decreased use of medications for pain relief
- Fewer side effects than other treatments, such as surgery or injections
The Bottom Line
If you have chronic pain that is not being relieved by other treatments, spinal cord stimulation may be an option for you. Consult your doctor to determine whether this therapy is appropriate for you.