Diabetes is of different kinds. No two people are with the same diabetes. However, any one with diabetes can control their sugar level following a strict diabetic diet. Here are some tips to cook a healthy diabetic diet
Choose healthy carbohydrates
The carbohydrates affect sugar level greatly. Therefore choose the healthy carbohydrates sources like brown rice, vegetables, fruits, pulses like beans, lentils, unsweetened yogurt, milk, etc.
Add less salt
Eating lot of salt increases the blood pressure. This in turn affects the heart. Therefore one should limit to 6 grams of salt per day.
Reduce processed meat
Processed meat contains higher carbs. Therefore try to swap it with Diabetic Recipes of fish, chicken, or eggs.
Choose healthier fats
Healthy fats are in unsalted nuts, avocados, olive oil, fish, seeds and sunflower oil. Saturated fats are generally called the unhealthy fats. This is because they increase the cholesterol level in the blood. This increases the risks of heart problems. Foods that contain saturated fats are ghee, lard, pies, cakes, pastries, processed meat, etc. Such foods should be avoided.
While buying ingredients
- Always select leaner cuts of meat.
- Buy sea food frequently as they are rich in protein. For instance salmon, mackerel and sardines are good choices to make
- Avoid processed food like ham, hot dogs etc
- Buy only 4 ounces of meat, not more than 3 times a week.
- Add lots of vegetables to the basket
- Use cooking oil sprayers instead of butter while preparing Diabetic Friendly Recipes
- Steam the vegetables rather than frying them
- Use herbs and spices to season. Avoid salt
- Instead of frying, broil, stir fry and grill
- Remove the skin of turkey and chicken before cooking
- Always rinse the canned vegetables before they are cooked.