Gynecomastia, commonly known as man boobs is a male disorder that affects more than 30% of men. It is the enlargement of men’s breast tissue, caused by hormonal imbalance of oestrogen and testosterone. It can affect one breast or both breasts uniformly. Gynecomastia does not pose any major threat, but it may feel intimidating or embarrassing to boys and men.
Causes of Gynecomastia
- Hormonal imbalance is the main cause, followed by obesity. When the body fails to maintain the hormonal homeostatic state of balance, the oestrogen levels may go up while the testosterone levels go down. This leads to the development of fat tissues.
- Obesity, on the other hands, disrupts the hormonal balance due to excessive deposition of fat in the body. Our fat tissues produce the leptin hormone which is vital in the reproductive part of our bodies. Due to the high amount of fat in obese men, the level of leptin increases inhibiting production of hormones LH and FSH. The decreased level of testosterone decreases the production of glandular tissue in men’s breast.
- Steroids used to enhance body performance and tissue bulking, anabolic steroids, can cause man boobs. The steroids that get converted to oestrogen are capable of causing gynecomastia. The side effects of these steroids are shadier than basic testosterone treatment.
- Medications can also cause man boobs. These medications include antibiotics, AIDS drugs, chemotherapy, heart medication like digoxin, and anti-anxiety medications.
Apart from a sharp pain in the breasts, which can be used as the basis of diagnosis, the doctor can carry a series of examinations. These include the mammogram, and blood test. Further tests may be carried out if the results are not conclusive. They include tissue biopsies, CT scans, and testicular ultrasounds.
What to Do with Man Boobs
The condition does not signify any harm unless it impedes a different medical evaluation. One can decide to live with it or to undergo a surgery.
If the gynecomastia is caused by an underlying condition such as cirrhosis, malnutrition, and hypogonadism, treatment is necessary. Gynecomastia cost in the UK is relatively cheaper and affordable compared to other places. Also, if the condition does not regress on its own, re-evaluation is advised.
- Gynecomastia surgery cost UK is fairly pricey from £3,500 to £5,500, yet widely available. It is usually cheaper to visit other countries. It entails a simple surgical procedure for less than two hours. The gynecomastia surgery cost UK is significantly higher than somewhere like Poland, where the whole procedure can cost £1,400. The patient is put in sedation and the fat deposits are removed. The glandular tissues are then sucked out using liposuction. Under surgery, a mastectomy can also be performed. The breast gland tissue is removed completely. The surgery is often done endoscopically, with small incisions, thus less invasive. The recovery period is relatively less.
Coping with Man Boobs
Gynecomastia can be embarrassing and disturbing to deal with. Attending counselling sessions, taking positive advice from peers and family, and connecting with other people with gynecomastia has proved to be effective. It is nothing to be ashamed of and is very common, so never feel like an outsider.