Acupuncture is a treatment that is based on the premise that the imbalance in the flow of life energy causes several health issues. It was incepted in China and is known as traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). According to this theory, there are more than 1000 acupuncture points in the human body. Acupuncture is said to be useful in addressing various health issues like anxiety, weight loss, nausea, depression, etc.
The treatment of acupuncture is done by using several techniques which are as follows:
- Moxibustion: Moxibustion knew as “moxa” is done by using heated sticks made with herbs to warm the acupuncture points.
- Cupping: Under cupping, glass cups are applied to several different parts of skin on the body. A suction effect is carried on to relieve stagnation of blood.
- Herbs: These herbs are consumed in forms of teas, pills, and capsules.
- Electroacupuncture: In this technique an electrical device is connected to acupuncture needles, giving it a light electrical current which stimulates the needles.
- Laser acupuncture: It stimulates the acupuncture points without using needles.
How is the treatment done with acupuncture
Dr. Carlos Durana, one of the highly regarded practitioner, practices acupuncture Bethsada MD. The first acupuncture appointment involves a health history assessment. The practitioner asks questions and examines your pulse to know the energy flow in the body. After the initial assessment and consultation, the needles are placed in various specific points. During the insertion of needles, one may feel a stinging sensation. The depth of insertion of needles varies as per the treatment. The needles are left in place for 5 to 10 minutes but not more than 60 minutes.
Acupuncture is performed by an acupuncturist holding a license. Doctors having a medical degree can perform acupuncture provided they have undergone adequate training for the same. It is advised to use acupuncture alongside conventional treatment if the person is diagnosed with the severe illness. It can be combined with other treatments with the consent of the doctors.