The removal of wisdom teeth is one of the most common surgical procedures carried out in Australia. Wisdom teeth are the third set of a molar that emerges between late teens and early twenties. Third molars often they become problematic even though they are named as wisdom teeth. When wisdom teeth problem arises, dentists recommend extracting them, and there are a few reasons why this is the smartest move.
Why do a wisdom tooth cause problems?
There should be enough space in the jaw-line for the wisdom tooth to emerge. A wisdom tooth fails to erupt when they do not have enough space in the jaw-line, and they get stuck under the gum. This is the reason why a wisdom tooth becomes impacted. An impacted wisdom tooth can create several dental problems like tooth decay, pain and gum disease.
What are the types of impaction?
There are four different types of impactions, and the wisdom teeth removal cost in Sydney is determined based on this.
You may hear the following terms when you visit your dentist:
- Mesial Impaction
- Horizontal impaction
- Distal impaction
- Vertical impaction
When to see a dentist?
When you experience the following symptoms, you should visit your dentist as early as possible rather than waiting for your regular dental check-up.
- Swollen gums
- Bleeding gums
- Bad breath
- Difficulty in opening your mouth
- Jaw pain
What are the problems caused by wisdom teeth?
When a wisdom tooth is partially emerged or gets trapped under the gums, it is difficult to clean them which can lead to many problems including:
- Tooth decay can occur in the wisdom tooth or the tooth nearby. This problem is common in about 25-30% of patients. It may not cause any problems immediately until the tooth decay affects the nerve of the tooth, then an abscess can form. As a result, toothache pain will be a feature of this problem.
- Impacted wisdom teeth can be affected by gum disease or contribute to gum disease on the adjacent teeth. Patients may not find symptoms of this, but when it gets infected, it leads to bleeding gums and pain.
- Infections around the partially erupted wisdom teeth are seen in 50-60% of patients, and it is one of the common reasons why it is extracted.
- Impacted wisdom teeth can create a cyst which damages the roots and bone supporting teeth. It rarely occurs, and it may damage the jawbone structure severely if it is left untreated.
What is the cost of wisdom teeth removal?
The following factors determine the cost of wisdom teeth removal in Sydney:
- The Complexity of the procedure
- Type of impaction
- Location of the surgeon
- Insurance coverage
For getting cheap wisdom teeth removal in Sydney, speak with your dentist regarding payment plans. If you have insurance coverage then it can help you reduce the price of extraction.